“…The notion that any one of us should be so special, so ‘undeserving of disability’ to remain unaffected by its indiscriminate nature – is an odd form of arrogance I think.
“Why not me?” is a much better question.
Indeed why not any of us?
Carers UK is a charity which understands the “Why not me?” question well -
- for Carers week they published the findings of their In Sickness and in Health report.
The findings made for sad but familiar reading.
Of the 3400 carers who were surveyed:
• 83% said that caring had a negative impact on their physical health
• 87% said it had a negative impact on their mental?health.
• 39 per cent have put off medical treatment because of caring.
• 36 % had suffered a physical injury as a result of caring.
The message was also pretty clear about the reasons why -
- with 64% of carers saying that caring had taken a toll on their health –
- because of a lack of practical support…”
go to source/story>>>