“..A US jury has awarded a Colorado man $7.2 million (£4.4m) damages after claiming he developed ‘popcorn lung’ by inhaling a chemical used to flavour microwave popcorn.
The jury in the case were in agreement with Wayne Watson’s claim that the manufacturer who produced the popcorn, and the supermarket that sold it, were negligent because they failed to warn consumers that the flavouring was dangerous.
Watson, 59, claimed the butter flavouring, diacetyl, caused a form of obstructive lung disease – a condition that scars the lungs and makes makes it difficult for air to flow out of them.
The condition is irreversible.
The official name of the illness is Bronchiolitis obliterans – and it can cause a dry cough, shortness of breath and wheezing.
The lawyers defending the popcorn manufacturer claimed Mr Watson had in fact developed the illness after working for years with carpet cleaning chemicals…”
go to source/story>>>