“..We live in new times.
For about thirty years American capitalism featured a small but not insignificant concession to social democracy -
- what we are taught to call “the welfare state” -
- in which government contributed to the provision of a degree of material security which the market alone cannot provide.
Watered-down quasi-Keynesian economic policy provided social benefits that gave most Americans a standard of living higher than ever before.
That arrangement has been under severe attack since the Carter administration as the social has been drastically reduced and material insecurity has soared.
We are promised more of the same into the future.
The market has been resurrected as the sole provider of what’s best for us.
Everything to do with government – excepting its martial and repressive powers – including public employees -
- is under constant assault.
Elites are now resolved to defeat organized labor -
- to reduce as much of the social wage as they can get away with -
- and to do away with impediments to capital’s unlimited freedom to accumulate -
- i.e. to privatize public assets.
The distribution of material benefits shall be, in the ideal case – determined entirely by the market…”
go to source/story>>>